Your Essential Custom Home Checklist
Wed 8th July
A custom home can be designed in great detail to suit the way you live – but only if the right questions are being asked by your designer and builder. The best custom home builders in Sydney including Wincrest Bespoke will walk through these considerations with you as part of the design and build process, but you might like to walk through this checklist at any time to ensure your new home will be a perfect fit for your family and lifestyle.
Although this may seem like a long list, each factor can play an important role in your custom home design. Rest assured that we’ll help you to navigate these choices and considerations – it’s all part of the service we provide.
Land & location
- Is your chosen block close to the important services in your life like schools, medical facilities, shops and transport?
- Will the land require major works, for example removing trees or rocks – or can the home be designed to make the most of these features with the right builder?
- Have you checked about the availability of electricity, gas, water and sewerage to your block?
- Is the area prone to fires or floods? Certain building requirements might apply if so, but a good custom home builder such as Wincrest Bespoke will be able to manage these requirements.
- If your block is narrow, sloping or uniquely shaped, have you found a custom builder with expertise in these areas?
Home and lifestyle features
- How many bedrooms will you need, and where should these be located? It can be a great idea to factor in a quiet parent’s retreat for a busy family!
- What kind of storage will you need in each bedroom? This might include extra hanging space or spacious walk-in wardrobes.
- How do you use your living spaces? For example, would you like to be able to watch the kids in the garden or living room while you’re cooking in the kitchen?
- Who in the family will be using your office and study nooks, and how many desks will you need at any one time?
- What will make your arrival home easier? For example, a doorway from your garage to your kitchen or pantry can make groceries far simpler to unload.
- Where would you like your kitchen appliances situated, and will you need customised cabinetry for any specific items?
- How much kitchen prep space and pantry space will you need to suit your family’s cooking style? When it comes to kitchen bench surfaces, there really is no such thing as too much space.
- Could you use a family electronics charging hub in the kitchen or living area?
- How do you plan to have your home entertainment system and AV systems set up, including any TVs, media units and speakers?
- How does your family like to share meals, and what shape and size of dining table do you prefer?
- Would you like underfloor heating in your bathrooms or bedrooms?
- Will you need taller shower heads or door frames for any particularly tall people in your family?
- How would you like your outdoor entertaining areas set out, in terms of dining, barbecue location, lights and speakers?
Practical and general features
- Have you considered high ceilings, and will the planned ceiling heights feel right for each space?
- Will there be a good amount of natural light in all living spaces?
- Is the house plan positioned to capture light and warmth from the sun?
- Where will you need electrical switches and outlets? Outlets can now include USB ports, which can add convenience in office or living areas.
- Will you need outlets in any cupboards or cabinets for your hair dryer, or your juicer in the kitchen?
- Where will any outdoor cameras and automatic sensors be placed?
- Is your builder considering energy efficient and sustainable choices, such as quality insulation and window glazing?
- What are your heating and air conditioning plans, and when will these systems be installed?
- Do you have enough storage, including built-in storage, cleaning cupboards and storage rooms?
When building with Wincrest Bespoke luxury custom home builders in Sydney, you can be confident we’ll work with you closely to ensure your beautiful new custom home is tailor-made for you and your family, as we have for many happy clients. You might choose to work with our experienced architectural designers, or to bring your DA-approved architectural plans to us.
Remember – our team is here to guide you through every step of designing your custom home and to ensure each of these important factors is considered in the process.